The purpose is to get Export Control Joint Unit's message across on UK Export Controls at the local level to those companies who are new to this area, or even not aware of the controls, as often we find evidence of non-compliance across a variety of business sectors, from complete lack of knowledge to not using their licences correctly (which results in declarations being made to HMRC and potential compound fines or even prosecutions).
The seminar is run by 2 ECO Compliance Inspectors and looks at:
1. Background to Controls – explaining the controls, the legislation, goods and technology that are controlled, types of activities that are controlled, the key Control Lists, the main activities and end use controls.
2. Types of licences available to exporters, the differences between them, the problems ECO experience when handling licence applications, the licencing process and the Criteria we have to follow when considering licences
3. Compliance – why we visit companies who use open licences, explain what to expect at visits, the problems we come across on such visits and guidance on best practice
4. Open Licence Exercise’s – Attendees get opportunity to look at scenarios and consider whether a particular licence could be used or not
5. Open Q&A, which concludes with the two compliance officers being present providing a 1:1 surgery for attendees specific questions.